Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Pink Clouds

Humidity was low last night and sleep was easy. At 6:20 AM, the crisp, cool air flowing in the window is refreshing and pleasant. This contrasts greatly against the sweltering heat and humidity from last week.

My awestruck fascination with Brooklyn is fading especially now that I have a job here. Rather than soaking up everything in the local community, I am focused on how to earn money and help the company I work for grow. But the Brooklyn experience is not completely lost because, for example, last night the smell of Asian cooking flowed into my bedroom soon followed by loud talking and some inexplicable banging on the walls.

Or when I walked home from work last night, I passed an open door to an apartment on 5th Avenue and I smelled Puerto Rican cooking rich with oil and fried food.

Despite my headache yesterday, I continued to appreciate the children here while I walked to work. An Hispanic man shepherded three children up the street past four Asian children. An Asian toddler with fuzzy, straight-black hair waddled among three older ones. They all laughed as the tallest child grabbed the toddler by the hands and tried to give the young child a piggy back ride. The weight of the toddler wobbled the larger child. I strode past their peals of laughing and delighted screaming.

My uncle returned my call last night and we talked for several minutes. Something was bothering him, but he didn't say and I didn't read the clues well enough to gain insight. I was in my cot at 7:30, reading, and I fell asleep sometime shortly after 9:00. I slept until just after six and when I peeked out the bedroom window, I saw a light blue sky and delicate pink clouds. It looks as though I missed a glorious sunrise.

I feel lazy, slow of thought, and happy to enjoy the cool breeze flowing through the window. I have to move my car today between 9:30 and 11:00, I have to work, eat, rest. I am unsure whether or not I will do any sight-seeing or not. When I first moved here, I thought that I might bake bread so perhaps this week or next I can start doing that.

No comments: