Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Gently, From the Past

In my early 20s when I first started working 40-hour office jobs, the first day would exhaust me. My brain would absorb so much data that by the end of the day, I was saturated. Going home would be a welcome respite and I would lay on the floor somewhere, pulsing with fatigue.

My last few 40-hour jobs weren't like that. I turned the learning curve, perhaps, and I would breeze into and out of my first day without much fatigue.

Yesterday, though, reminded me of the past experience of starting a new job. I'm learning as I go and finding unexpected things with each turn.

For example, my Mom keeps quietly sharing my Dad's experience as an entrepreneur. 'Tim, you'll eventually miss the camaraderie in the office. Dad does.'

My routines are different. My outlets for conversation during the slow times are different. What scuttlebutt can I tap into? It's not so readily available.

Where's Buddy, the receptionist? Oh yeah. She's not available except through the Internet.

So last night after an extremely long day of investing in a business framework for a photography services business, I was tired. Gently, from the past, I revisited the feeling of starting a new job.

I kind of like it.

No comments: