Sunday, October 4, 2009

The Unexpected Coolness of the Explore Page

When I teach photography classes, I reel off some simple ratios that are guidelines for anyone who makes images with a camera.

One or two of a hundred shots you will want to show your friends.

One or two of a thousand shots you might have published somewhere.

One or two of ten thousand shots National Geographic (for example) might consider for a story.

And apparently, one of fifty thousand shots can be the photo of a lifetime.

When I stood on the banks of the Souhegan River a few mornings ago, I wasn't feeling very well. I was facing some seasonal depression. I was brooding over my relationships. And although I saw the beauty, but details nagged at me in the composition. The cold dampness gnawed at my fingers.

Yet I clicked and clicked.

A couple days later after one of the photos was selected for the Flickr Explore page, nearly 2,000 people have looked at the image.

The accolades that I am receiving are interesting (and surely temporary) and soon enough, I expect to be aiming my camera to make images that I alone may love. In fact, it doesn't have to be anything more.

No comments: